Friday, April 8, 2011

Next, and next, and next...

I have to find a way to temper myself.


I started this blog to share my favorite books, primarily young adult fiction, but lately I seem to be reading more, and sharing less.

Let me track where I have been in the last two weeks.

The beginning
There is something so comforting about encountering an old book--one you have spent pleasurable hours with, as you wandered around its unique world and peered over the shoulders of its characters as they battled monsters, and wielded fantastic magic. It's like meeting an old friend, and then sitting down over cups of coffee (or tea) to talk about old times.

 However, I wasn't so certain if I wanted to start my summer with A Wizard of Earthsea (Ursula Le Guin), though. It's not an easy friend. There's too much darkness in Ged's world, and  --superstitious me -- I didn't want that to foreshadow my summer.

A master storyteller, nonetheless, has the power to pull you in the tale whether you like it or not. And so before long, I was once again at Roke and at Earthsea meeting familiar characters, and re-tracing familar and forgotten paths. At the end of the Ged's reckoning with his shadow, I was glad to have re-read the book again.

The book follows a familiar story archetype of the outcast, flawed hero coming to terms with himself. Since Ursula Le Guin comes from that era of 'classical' fantasy writers in the ilk of J.R.R. Tolkien, Ged's reflections and internal struggle appear deeply philosophical to the modern reader. In short, do not expect stream-of-consciousness rantings from Ged.

What to me makes this book a classic is how it explores that universal experience of having committing a seemingly irreparable mistake. And then upping this a hundred times. After all, what can be worse than loosing an unknown dark creature in the world and not having the power to vanquish it?

As to its ending: I like it that Le Guin carefully reveals things to the reader that leads up to the eventual realization of what must be done. You begin to have an inkling of what to do, but you're not quite sure about it, until the denouement. Beautiful pacing. I hate it when some authors treat readers as dumb spectators and spring obvious "revelations" and resolutions on them.

So after A Wizard of Earthsea, I knew I was in for a good start on my summer reading.


The Blue Sword

(to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment